Monday, June 11, 2007

Free Paris! Free Paris

Somehow I'm opposed to everything Nancy Grace has to say. It's like her shrill holier-than-thou voice broadcasts some weird signal which scrambles my logic centres and just generally puts me in polar opposition from anything she rallies against.
She could have a show devoted to saving the whales and that night I'd be chowing down on flipper.
Yeah, it's that bad.
So when she began her crusade against Paris Hilton, I couldn't help but take the opposite view.
That is - is this really justice?
I mean...let's set aside our natural prejudice for famous people who have no right to be famous and let's look at this from a human point of view. In the beginning, I wanted her to hang. I wanted her to not only serve the full 43 days, but I wanted full updates on how much she is suffering...and I don't think I'm alone.
But is this natural? Is the desire to see people suffer justified....ever? Granted, driving drunk is about the stupidest thing anyone can do and she deserves her kummupins of some sort, but punishing her doubly for the ineptitude of one sheriff seems a little out of place.
I mean, she was let out of jail, what was she supposed to do? What would anyone do?
"Sorry, I believe I am being wrongfully released, please keep me here?"
No. That's ludicrous. She got a break - yeah, but how the hell is it her fault that she was released early? This was a foul up on the prison end, not hers, but we're a bloodthirsty bunch and we just have to beat her back into submission at the slightest sign that our mob justice wasn't satisfied.
Look - I'm no Paris fan. In fact, I was waiting for something like this to knock her down a peg. That said, it's already been noted that 2 to 3 days is a normal sentance for her offense and I'm afraid this swift punishment to her early release is more of a political move than a fair one.
We love when celebrities screw up, and we always cry bloody murder when they get away with it. All I'm saying is that we should be careful not to shift our vision of justice the entire opposite way just because we love seeing talentless pointless celebrities burn. We're better than that...right?
I say let her serve 20 days, let her have her breakdown and when she gets released, instead of following her every move waiting for her to screw up again, let's just ignore her. Maybe that's true celebrity justice.
As for Nancy Grace, well, I'll just have to learn to not care.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The critic from the East is back from a sunny holiday - that's right, I'm rubbing it in.

So let's make up for lost time:
1) I actually could use a Jay-Z interlude to explain to me why we are so stretched for new material that she's singing about sharing an umbrella - or at least I think that is what it is about. And no ordinary explanation will do - I need it in fast-spoken, rhyming terms....otherwise known as my dear friend rap.

2)Congrats on the 2 years. I'm sure that's not the exact story, as I seem to remember a modicum of begging on your part...but nonetheless, I'm really happy for you guys. Any plans for children yet?

3) Paris belongs in jail. Not indefintely. Not because she's Paris. But because she did the deed (and I doubt it's the first time, just the first time she got caught - you know, on probabtion, after the real first time she got caught.) So this isn't exactly coming down hard on a first offender because she's famous. She earned it fair in square. And some guy let her out because she was having mental problems? Really? Is that all it takes? To get released to a MANSION for a month of house arrest? 2 to 3 days isn't a normal sentence, or else they would have let her out indefinitely, not because of a mental breakdown. Upon being put back she cried for mommy - so maybe this will force her to fend for herself for once and not have her parents bail her out again. The premonition of a 3rd DUI hopes that she learns this time, which I doubt 3 days would have accomplished.