Monday, November 13, 2006

Ode to the Wolf Sweater


Growing up, I wore a Wolf Sweater. It was one of my favorites. In glorious iron-on beauty it told the lonely tale of a single solitary wolf alone in the cold harsh tundras of sweaterville, standing form his rock (it was a he) and staring ominously out of my chest to anyone who would dare look it eye to eye.
I had the spirit of the wolf...in sweater form.
I also wore dragon sweaters (knit by a family friend) and on one of my first days of junior high I proudly displayed a full-on Popeye sweater which came to my knees.
How I survived that day, I don't know. Maybe...just maybe, it was the spirit of the wolf.

In any case, my own experiences have allowed me to be tolerant of the Wolf Sweater. Where some may laugh and cite them to be a gross display of tack, I see them as an affirmation of life - of nature - of the wolf within us all.

Which is why I claim November 12th to be National Wolf Sweater Day. Unpack your boxes, head to your nearest flea market or discount warehouse clothing outlet and wear your Wolf Sweaters with pride!
Tundra Wolves! Red Wolves! Mexican Wolves! Steppen Wolves! The spirit of the wolf is alive ... in YOU!

5 comments:

Scribe of Dreams said...

um....no

Creative Freakin' Genius said...

Man, I never HAD a Wolf Sweater. That explains at lot....

Dare said...

Sadly, I am agnostic when it comes to all things wolves...never seen a live one, therefore question it's existance. So I cannot join in the celebration. If you come up with an Ode to Rum, or perhaps a National Tarintino Fim Fest day, then I am so on board, but this...again due to my beliefs, I cannot partake in....I'm sure you are crushed.

Anonymous said...

I think this deep inner stuff about the wolf thing is stretching it a bit far. It doesn't really work in terms of high brow or intellectualism. I think what really happened is you found the old sweater in a box and had a bit of a fond deja vu that extended into the blog unfortunately. I don't even remember you liking the wolf sweater let alone it being your favourite. Do you remember who knit the other ones for you - and they were incredible. The Popeye one was my favourite though, and I think yours when you really think about it.....vic bickell

Unknown said...

why did you even bother linking that picture of the wolf sweater? it pops into a window where it's EXACTLY the same size...extra small.